Often clients come to me for a host of issues fatigue, digestion issues, weight management and hormonal imbalances. These imbalances can stem from either PCOS, thyroid issues, or adrenal fatigue. My job is to give them a tailored nutrition plan and to help guide them through the process of becoming “balanced” using integrative and functional nutrition. I focus on detoxifying through smart supplementation and with a nourishing diet. I am sure it is no surprise to you, what we eat can affect our hormones, therefore it is important we support our endocrine system. Feeding our bodies with whole foods will not only nourish but rejuvenate us as well.
So when seeking hormonal balance (in conjunction with your physician, ideally an integrative and functional physician), it is important to be proactive instead of reactive. Therefore, there are certain foods that should be stocked in your kitchen at all times.
01.Omega-3 fatty acids | This can be in the form of salmon, sardines or mackerel. If fish isn’t your thing try chia seeds, hemp seeds or walnuts. Supplementation may be necessary.
02. Avocado | I always say - don’t fear fat! Avocados are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, and B vitamins.
03. Turmeric | Known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is known to calm the body and provide numerous benefits.
04. Cacao Nibs or Dark Chocolate | When purchasing dark chocolate make sure it is 70% or more dark cacao.
05. Digestive Enzymes | Hormones can affect our digestion. So take notice when your digestion system needs a little support and try digestive enzyme. Some need right before or during their cycle
06. Probiotics | Keep the gut healthy!
07. Beets | Great for muscle recovery, detoxification, and for fighting inflammation
08. Ginger | Tummy support and anti-inflammation
Want to explore other supplements a bit deeper? The following supplements help support women’s health.
Naturally Calm Powder
DIM (when appropriate)
Chasteberry - for PMS
*My mini-disclaimer - always check with your a physician first before taking supplements, as they can interact with certain medications.
Need help finding “balance”? Contact me for 1-1 counseling here. Silver Spoons Nutrition uses the basic tenets of healthy living combined with the emerging science of integrative and functional medicine.
Happy 2018! | Let's Set Our Intention For The Year