People tend to have strong opinions about cauliflower. You either loathe it or love it. I happen to love it and hope you will too! It has a delicious mellow flavor that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family along with brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage. Though white is the most common color, you will also find it in vivid colors of purple, yellow, and green (see my ealier post). It is a mere 29 calories per cup, high in vitamin C, and K, folate, and fiber. We usually find cauliflower cooked under a blanket of cheese but there are many other ways to add flavor without extra calories.
1. Simple Roast - try roasting your cauliflower with a little olive oil or coconut oil with sea salt.
2. Cauliflower "mashed" - this can be a gateway to loving cauliflower. Try roasting and then mash up your cauliflower with garlic and milk (cow's, almond, or soy). Then throw in your favorite fresh herbs such as sage, thyme, or rosemary.
3. Pureed Cauliflower Soup- similar recipe to cauliflower mash but puree all items. When finished throw in some homemade croutons to add some crunch. You will need to thin it out with your choice of milk.
4. Cauliflower Steaks - Slice the cauliflower into thick slabs and roast until it carmelizes. Try just a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of herbs and parmesan cheese.
5. Curry + Yogurt (AtlantaFresh Yogurt) Cauliflower (My Favorite!)- combine 1/2 cup of plain (either whole or 2%) yogurt + 2 tbsp of olive oil + 2 tsp curry and stir until thoroughly mixed. You can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or sriracha to spice it up! Coat the entire cauliflower with curry + yogurt mixture. Roast in oven at 400 for 40 minutes. Slice into steaks.